Friday 18 March 2011

We Heart Tuesdays: Does your first love shape future relationships?

Here at Company HQ we're all super, and I mean SUPER excited about the new Brit com 'Submarine' being released this week.


The film, written by Patrick Ayoade (yep, that’s the one from the IT crowd) sees 15-year-old Oliver (Craig Roberts) fall madly in love with the gorgeous Jordana (Yasmin Paige) and all the trials and tribulations that comes with first love... mainly will he or won’t he manage to persuade her to sleep with him!

It’s got us reminiscing about our first loves in the office and wondering how much our first loves affect us later in life. You never forget your first love, do you? I had the typical complicated relationship with my first love. I say complicated because the truth is, looking back I now realise I was definitely more in love with him than he was with me.

I can’t help but cringe at all the things I used to do. Writing his name all over my school book (well tagging his name all over my book, I thought of myself as a bit of a graff artist), saving his cute texts in a special folder so I could read them over and over again, sitting and smiling like a fool all day because I was soo in love.

But it turned out he was only after one thing and I wasn’t going to give that up for him. So he dumped me. Just like that. Needless to say, I was heartbroken. But here’s the lesson: It made me even more determined to wait for the right guy. While some people are lucky to meet and stay with their first love for the rest of their lives, most of us usually have to move on and learn from it.

But not every first love has to end in heartbreak, does it? My best friend was with her boyfriend around the same time and while they didn’t have any reason to break up, the relationship (like most do) ran its course. She always told me that her first love helped her know what to expect from her boyfriends. Her first love was sweet, thoughtful and treated her with respect and now she won’t waste her time with anyone who doesn’t treat her the same way.

So is it fair to say that your first love will always shape how you go into your future relationships? Let us know about your first love and the lessons you learned...

 

By Nola Ojomu

Published: www.company.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment