Saturday 27 November 2010

Article - A life in the day




The 18 -year- old Nigerian girl preparing to study journalism at university, she lives with her mother, father and younger brother in Kenley, Surrey.

It’s fun to just sit and laugh with my family - it’s my favourite moment of the day.

I usually wake up at 8am to say goodbye to my parents before they leave for work. Then I lie in bed for about an hour reading a book. I’ve always loved reading - a habit my dad says I got from my mum.

Around 9am I finally get out of bed. I’m a very fussy eater and I hate cereal because I can’t eat it when it gets soggy, I physically cringe at the thought. But there are a few exceptions like Frosted Shreddies and Crunchy Nut. If not, it’s bagels or toast.

I watch The Daily 10, which is all about celebrity gossip, while eating breakfast. I blame my mum again for my interest in celebrities but I also try to blag that I only watch the show because it will help me to become a good journalist.

I recently discovered an amazing exercise channel on Sky. I’m naturally skinny but I’ve been warned that my addiction to KFC could do some damage. So at 11:30 I do the ‘Caribbean workout’ which is a clever mix of Aerobics, Pilates and Yoga.

I usually go on my laptop around noon and check my E- mail, Facebook and some news so I don’t feel like I’m wasting my life away on the internet. My 14 – year - old brother, Babatunde, will normally goes on his Playstation or Nintendo Wii as soon as he sees I’m done with the TV. I tend to join him for a few games. I grew up around a lot of male cousins so I love playing video games and watching anime.

At 2:30 there’s another workout show called ‘Dance and be fit: Brazilian body’ and it’s much more dance based which I prefer. I think I got my love for dance from my culture. Although I was born in UK, I lived in Nigeria, West Africa from the ages of four to eight. Dancing is a big part of our culture and tradition. One of my earliest memories is trying to dance like my grandma - my Dad’s mum - at her 60th birthday. She was swinging her hips to the beat, slowly lowering to the group then back up again. However my imitation was to bend my knees and stick my bum in the air. Even at 80, she can still dance better than me.

Around 3pm, we get together some sort of lunch and watch Sky Sports News. I love football. My dad is a big football fan but he doesn’t support a team, he just likes the sport. Whereas, my brother and I are very big Arsenal supporters.
From 4pm, my brother watches the Disney channel which I happily watch with him. I’m still a kid at heart even though I’m the eldest child.

Dad gets back from work at 6pm and we all eat a Nigerian meal for dinner. You can’t really make the meals fresh like you could in Nigeria, which is something I miss the most about living there, but you learn to live with it. My favourite Nigerian meal is pounded yam, a seasoned tomato stew and meat. I remember we would always buy some from the Gbagada market on my way home from primary school.

While we eat, we watch the news together as a family. My parents always like to make sure that we know what is going on in the world. We are all very opinionated so there tends to be some heated discussions, usually about how much my mum and I don’t like the Tories.

I only really go out to a club called ‘Tiger Tiger’ on Thursday nights with my close friend Katy, but otherwise I spend the evening watching TV together with my family. We like to watch ‘Mock The Week’, it’s fun to just sit and laugh with my family - it’s my favourite moment of the day.

By around 10pm, we turn everything off and pray as a family. Most Nigerians are very religious and that, like dancing, is a big part of my life too. It’s comforting to have your family praying with you.

Usually I’m in bed by 11, with my book back in my hand to send me to sleep.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment